Why do you teach?
Or for aspiring teachers, why do you want to teach?
The 'Why We Teach' series interviews 8 passionate Australian teachers about why they love their job, and how they overcome some of the pressures of the teaching profession.
Today's episode is a conversation with Brisbane based high school teacher & pastoral leader Steph Langley.
Here are 5 of my takeaways from Steph's sharing:
1. Sometimes teachers need to drop the urgent to focus on the important;
2. Seek to understand before you react;
3. Don't be afraid to throw your hat in the ring for leadership positions and other opportunities that pop up in your school ;
4. Behaviour management starts with respect. As teachers we're good at making sure that student respect us...but how are we showing our students that we care for and respect them?
5. Students know if you're saying something that you don't genuinely believe in...so be genuine.
This episode of The Teacher's Guide Podcast is perfect for beginner teachers, aspiring teachers, prac teachers, uni students, experienced teachers, primary teachers, high school teachers and more!